May 2, 2013
To Our Pine Brook Community:
We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that Monday, May 6, 2013, marks the start of the NJ ASK 6 test. The test will begin promptly at 9:00am each day from May 6 until May 9. Students who arrive to school after 9:00am will remain in the Main Office until testing has been completed. Therefore, it is imperative that students arrive to school on time each morning.
To best prepare for the NJ ASK, please make sure your child gets plenty of sleep and has a healthy breakfast each day. At this time, I would like to share some additional test taking tips to assist your child in performing his/her best. Please encourage your child to:
- Listen carefully to spoken directions and read through all written directions.
- Read the entire question or problem. Skipping over words like "never" or "not" can lead to incorrect answers.
- Use the process of elimination for multiple choice questions. Remind your child to first eliminate the answers he or she knows is incorrect. Then your child can think through the answers that remain and decide on the "best" one.
- Show his/her work and organize work neatly. At times, students will also be required to explain how they would solve a problem in several sentences.
- Plan for a written response.
- Bring recreational literature to read in case he/she completes a part with time left.
Getting a good night's sleep, eating a healthy breakfast, and encouraging children to do their best are the best tips to help them be successful. Please remind your child that no electronic devices of any sort are permitted in the testing room, including Nooks, phones, etc.
If your child is absent during testing week, he/she will make up the test during the week of May 13-17, 2013. If your child needs to be picked up early during testing week, he/she will not be permitted to leave during a timed portion of the test. Most students will be finished testing by 12:30pm each day. Please call (732) 786-2800 if you have any questions.
John W. Spalthoff
Important May Dates:
NJASK Testing: May 6-9
NJASK Make-ups: May 13-17
MEMS Orientations: May 13 (Teams 1&2) May 14 (Teams 3&4) and May 15 (Teams 5&6)
PTA Meeting: May 15
Band and Orchestra Concert: May 23 at 7:00pm
Field Day: May 24
Memorial Day: No School May 27
Science Fair: May 29, 30, 31 (Teams 1 and 2 present on May 29, Teams 3 and 4 present on May 30, and Teams 5 and 6 present on May 31. All present from 9:10-10:15am)
LM Student Orientation at PB: June 3
TM Student Orientation at PB: June 4
CM Student Orientation at PB: June 5
MB Student Orientation at PB: June 7
WB Student Orientation at PB: June 10
Incoming 6th Grade Parent Orientations: June 5 and 6 (Incoming 6th grade parents can choose to attend either evening)